Make a lasting investment in the future of hunting and wildlife conservation
WITH GIFT PLANNING, YOU CAN PROVIDE LONG-LASTING SUPPORT FOR SCI FOUNDATION WHILE ENJOYING FINANCIAL BENEFITS FOR YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY
Gift Planning Menu
Build Your Legacy. Create a Plan
No matter the size of your estate, everyone needs a plan for the future. A plan helps ensure that your wishes are carried out and your loved ones well cared for. If you're like most people, chances are you need to do some planning, or at least update the plans you already have in place.
We've prepared a free estate planning guide and a guide to getting started with planned giving that can be very useful to help you create or update your plan. Click below to learn more and request your free copy.Learn More
Gifts of Business Interests
As a business owner, you have the opportunity not only to build your business and accumulate wealth for yourself and your family, but also to accomplish your philanthropic goals through charitable planning. A gift of your corporate stock or assets can provide you with tax and income benefits and help further our mission.
Benefits of gifts of business interests
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction
- Avoid tax on the sale of your business stock or assets
- Receive lifetime payments if your business stock or assets are used to fund a planned gift
How gifts of closely held stock work
- Give a percentage of your voting or non-voting shares in your business to us outright and receive an income tax deduction. We will hold your shares for a future sale or redemption and can use any dividends paid for our charitable purpose.
- Give a percentage of your voting or non-voting shares in your business for a donor advised fund (DAF) and receive a charitable deduction. The DAF will hold your shares for a future sale or redemption and can use any dividends paid for charitable grants. On an annual basis, you can advise us on how to make grants from the fund to your favorite charitable causes.
- If your corporation is an S corporation, there are special rules that apply to gifts of corporate stock. Please contact us to discuss the most tax-efficient way to structure your stock gift.
How gifts of business assets work
- If your business makes a gift of a non-inventory asset, it will receive a charitable income tax deduction based on the appraised fair market value of the asset.
- The income tax deduction for a gift from a business is limited to 10% of the corporation's taxable income. Your business may carry forward any unused deduction up to five years.
- If your business is an S corporation, the charitable deduction will flow through to the shareholders in proportion to their ownership interest. Check with us on the most tax-efficient way to make a gift of corporate assets from your business
If you have any questions about making a gift of a business interest or your business assets, please contact us. We would be happy to assist you and answer your questions.
Business Succession Planning and Charity - When you are ready to sell your business, before you sign a binding agreement, consider a charitable gift to reduce or completely avoid capital gains on the sale. If you give enough of an interest in your business to us or a donor advised fund, you can use the resulting charitable income tax deduction to offset part or all of the capital gains on the interest you retain and sell.
Tax Planning Strategies for Business Owners - If you would like to sell your business and receive income, ask us how you can transfer part or all of your business stock or assets to fund a charitable remainder trust. The trust will sell your business interest tax-free and pay you (and your spouse) income for life. You will receive a charitable income tax deduction to further offset any capital gains.